Pizza is only as good as the dough. If you want to be as successful as your favorite Italian, you need honey – for two reasons.
Salami, tuna, mushrooms, ham or even bananas – whatever pizza your heart beats for, how well the result stands or falls with the pizza dough. Basically, it consists of surprisingly few ingredients, but for the authentic Italian taste, they must be the right ones used to prepare it. Honey plays an important role in this.
Real Italian pizza dough consists of only six ingredients: water, yeast, flour, salt, honey and olive oil. That and some muscle power is all you need to touch Bella Italia. Table sugar is used in many recipes. This serves as “food” for the yeast bacteria and ensures their activation and allows the dough to rise well. Honey has the same effect, but it brings more flavor than regular sugar and this is evident in the pizza. Try this easy recipe for Italian Nona Pizza Dough – and taste it for yourself.
Pizza Dough from Italy: You will need these ingredients
The amount of dough is enough for two round pizzas with a diameter of 25 to 30 cm or a baking tray.
- 250 ml of hot water
- 1 cup yeast (you can do this)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 500 grams of flour
This is how you make pizza, just like your Italian grandma.
- Put the warm water in a measuring cup, pour the honey, stir in the yeast and stir well until the honey and honey dissolve in the water. Then cover the mixture well for 15 minutes, let it rise. After this time, the yeast mixture will begin to ferment and you will know that the yeast bacteria are active.
- Place the flour in the bowl and add salt. Then add the yeast mixture and the oil and knead the dough with the dough hook. Take your time, you can grind for 10 minutes. And then another 5 minutes by hand until the dough is uniform and smooth. But be careful, you can also leave the yeast dough for a long time. You can read what happens next in the info box below.
- Then cover the dough bowl well with a cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place for an hour. Just before the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 240 degrees.
- After the rising period, the volume of the powder approximately doubled. Cut the dough in half and then roll it to your liking and shape.
- All you have to do now is to raise the dough to your liking and bake the pizzas in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
The perfect pizza dough is the be-all and end-all.
It is important to leaven with any yeast dough, including pizza dough. They work the air into the ingredients and give the dough structure. The result: a soft dough that rises well and an airy, crispy pizza. Ideally, bake the pizza dough for about 15 minutes. But be careful: if you wash it for a long time, the structure of the dough will fall again and the dough will become soft, sticky and lose its structure.
Did you already know? You can store pizza dough in the refrigerator for up to three days and even freeze it. So nothing stands between you and true pizza joy. Are you more of a pasta fanatic? An inexpensive drizzle of oil turns spaghetti into an artful summer dish.